Gynecomastia Treatment for Men Delhi
Gynecomastia is swelling of the breast tissue in adolescence boys or men and this happens because of an imbalance of the hormones estrogen and testosterone. This is quite common for boys going through puberty and as men get older they develop Gynecomastia as a result of normal changes in hormone levels, however, there are other causes which also exist.
The number one reason why men get breast reduction surgery is the embarrassment it can cause because normally a man’s chest should be firm and should not be referred to as “Man Boobs”. Gynecomastia is not a serious problem, but it can be tough to cope with emotionally for young boys and men. Often enlarged breasts can be stressful and difficult to hide and a challenge to get intimate.
For boys they become a target for teasing activities such as swimming or changing in front of others becomes a delicate situation and one starts to hate their body and feel unhappy. In Most cases, Gynecomastia may go away on its own but sometimes if it persists, surgery is the only option.
Other mitigating factors which may contribute to Gynecomastia are
- Taking of Anabolic steroids and androgens and other drugs like amphetamines
- Massive weight reduction
- Anti-anxiety medications, such as diazepam (Valium).
- Tricyclic antidepressants.
- Ulcer medications, such as cimetidine (Tagamet).
- Cancer treatment (chemotherapy).
- Heart medications, such as digoxin (Lanoxin) and calcium channel blockers.
Some more useful information before Gynecomastia surgery!
Once you have been deemed suitable for Gynecomastia surgery the doctor may ask you to get some tests done and also will give you some post operative instructions.
- Please share all your medical background information with the doctor and also family medical history. This is very important for your overall safety during the surgery.
- Let the doctor know if you are taking any prescribed or unprescribed medication like antibiotics or herbal medication.
- Get all the tests were done which the doctor will ask you to see if you are physically stable to withstand surgery.
- It is important not to consume any alcohol or smoke cigarettes two weeks before the surgery because it helps with healing.
How can plastic surgery help permanently solve this problem?
There are two ways to tackle this problem and it all depends on the size of the growth only then the surgeon will decide the right course of action.
- With the help of Liposuction surgery, all breast fat is sucked out without removing the breast gland tissue.
- Mastectomy surgery removes the breast gland tissue and this is done endoscopically, which means only small incisions are made which makes it less invasive surgery involving less recovery time.
Will be given general or local anesthetics and have to stay overnight in the clinic?
Gynecomastia or male breast reduction surgery is done under general anesthetic and takes around two hours to finish and in some cases little longer. This is an outpatient procedure and after the effects of anesthesia wore off, patient can leave with a friend or relative
How is it done?
After you are given the anesthetic you will be asleep the whole time and then the surgeon will make a cut around the (areola) and using liposuction suck out overabundant fat tissue. In case there is a large amount of tissue to clear, cleaves may connect down the mid-area from the areola, and the surgeon will then reposition the areolas.
Will my scars be visible and how much time it will take to recover so I can get back to normal duties?
The incision which is made are so small it will be barely visible after sometime and it takes six to eight weeks to fully recover. However, it is important not to physically strain yourself for the first four weeks. However after few days of rests, you can join office, but it is recommended if you can take a longer break it will be very beneficial.
Some more useful information Male breast reduction or Gynecomastia Post Surgery!
- After the surgery, it is important again not to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol for six weeks as it helps in the healing process.
- You will have to wear the compression garment for four to six weeks day and night as it helps to give you the right shape after an operation. You can only stop wearing after careful examination by the doctor.
- You will be given some medication which you must take and if there are any complications post surgery contact the doctor immediately.
Male breast reduction is a permanent solution to Gynecomastia and for further information, you can contact us via phone or through our website to book an appointment with Dr. Mayank Singh who is a board certified Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon and a renowned expert in Hair transplant.